Saturday, July 21, 2012

12 hours away from the Roll Chicago Half Marathon

I am getting SO excited! I am going to run this for fun! My biggest goal: keep the first mile above 6:00, preferably 6:10! 

Why am I so excited? There are many great reasons

#1. I slept and tapered. I have been working my hardes all summer, doing 2-a-days most days because despite getting up at 4:30 every morning, there is only so much running I can do before rounds. For example, thursday I got to work at 6:15, snacked throughout the day (i.e. two large spoonfulls of peanut butter with a bannana for lunch plus a pre-lunch and post-lunch cookie) then as I was leaving with work in tow at 6pm I was told that I would be giving a presentation in the morning about hypercoaguability in cancer; a subject that I did not know about during rounds, hence why I was presenting (so I would learn about it) and I would be starting from scratch. So I got maybe 3 hours of sleep thursday night. Friday I finished the data collection part of my research, ran preliminary stats, and was in bed by 9:30, passed out by 10 or 10:30, and didn't wake up until 10:30 saturday; I slept!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAY! I don't remember the last time I got so much sleep.

#2. I have people cheering me on!!!! My morning workout group that I will post more on because they made Chicago a home for me will be all either running it or cheering me on! I haven't had friends come out to cheer me on in many years, not had friends that close and supportive since before I moved back to Va to be with my mom :) It is good to be in a place where your comrades are that supporting and wonderful! YAYAYAY!

#3. My neighbor is cooking me dinner. It is my last weekend in Chicago, so she is making a goodbye meal of traditional german food. A pot-roast, potato-stuffed german dumplings, and cabbage (sorry all, but I LOVE cooked cabbage! YUMM! How amazingly awesome is that! She is amazing! I don't know the last time I had such an elaborate home cooked meal and the last time I had pot-roast was when my mom cooked it 3+ years ago. YAY!

#4. This is my parents home and I will just love touring it. My mom & dad met when they were graduate students at the University of Chicago. My dad mistook my mom for the librarian and was rude. Later when he went up to apologize, she started crying about another guy who was no longer in her life. He sat down and they kept talking. They went to see the fireworks that night and the next morning my dad proposed, my mom accepted, and they were together until the day she died. It is because of Chicago that I am alive. And now I get to run the city.

No matter if I walk, this will be a great time! I am so privledged to run this race and have such great friends. YAY! 11.5 hours until the start :)

No comments:

Post a Comment